Faculty & Staff Travel

Faculty & Staff Travel

UVA's policy on Faculty and Staff International Travel FIN-055 requires registration of international travel for university related travel through the University's international travel registry maintained by the International Studies Office, in order to facilitate University assistance if the need arises. Additionally, travelers are advised to share travel plans with their department chair, dean, or manager.

FIN-055 defines international travel for university related purposes as: travel that (1) utilizes University resources; (2) draws on funds disbursed through the University; (3) involves University faculty and staff acting in an academic or professional capacity relevant to the person’s area of responsibility, activities (including co-curricular and extracurricular), course of research, teaching, or study at UVA or is undertaken with or organized by any University school/unit/department or other organization, even when that travel is not for an academic or professional purpose; (4) is required and/or approved by the traveler’s department or unit; or (5) is funded by a third party or paid with personal funds, provided the purpose of the travel is related to the individual’s position at the University.

Faculty and staff traveling as directors, instructors, or support staff for UVA Education Abroad Programs are typically registered separately and do not need to complete the below form. Please contact the ISO Operations staff working with your program if you have questions. If you have existing access to the application system TDS and need to register for other travel, you must log into the High Security VPN (HSVPN) prior to registering. Contact [email protected] if you encounter problems getting to the registry.

Registration takes approximately 10 minutes. You will need your:

  • Itinerary (travel dates and locations, as well as flight/transit details)
  • Emergency contact information
  • On-site contact information

NB: Faculty-Staff International Travel for university related travel to destinations with a U.S. Dept. of State Travel Advisory of Level 4 - Do Not Travel and/or where UVA’s emergency assistance insurance provider has suspended the security evacuation benefit is subject to review by the Vice Provost for Global Affairs (VPGA) to determine whether to permit expenditure of University funds for travel to such high risk destinations per the University policy for Faculty/Staff International travel (FIN-055).




Medical Conditions

Depending on the length and purpose of your travel, consider having a physical examination before participating in an international experience. Discuss with your physician your intent to go abroad and get advice for managing your physical and emotional health while in another country. Discuss your health condition (allergies, medications, disabilities, psychological treatment, dietary requirements, and medical needs) with your physician, and seriously consider the appropriateness of this international experience in your chosen host country.


- If you have any medical or psychological condition that may require attention while you are abroad, discuss this with your physician before going abroad.
- Ask your physician if your medication will be legal and readily accessible in your host country.
- Take necessary medications (in original, labeled containers) and written prescriptions with you.
- It is advisable that you carry a letter from your doctor explaining the use of your medication so it is not suspected as contraband.
- Get necessary immunizations well in advance of your departure. See the CDC website for relevant immunizations.

Medical Facilities/Services

Medical facilities and services will not be the same in every country. It is important to understand as much as possible about the facilities and services in your host country before you should need them.


- Get information about medical facilities and services in your host city/country before you arrive.
- Understand where to go for common health needs (i.e., cold, stomachache, flu, etc.) and where to go for emergencies or major medical needs.
- Know how medical services are paid for (i.e., out-of-pocket by you, the host country or institution, insurance, etc.).
- Understand your insurance coverage before going abroad (does your insurance policy cover you in another country, what is covered, what is not, how to make claims, etc.).
- Know who to contact in case of a medical emergency and how.

Emergency Protocol

Please make sure someone in your family has a valid passport, for the entire time you will be away, for use in the event of an emergency.


- Carry some form of identification with you at all times (your name, your host country address, host country phone number, passport and visa numbers).
- Carry emergency numbers and contacts with you:
    - Local police
    - On-site contact(s)
    - Emergency contact at home
    - Embassy in host country
    - Insurance contact information
    - Physician and mental health practitioner at home
    - Know where the local hospitals are located and how to get there

CISI Travel Insurance

All Academic University Employees traveling on University business are automatically enrolled in our international traveler insurance program when you register your trip via the required Employee Travel Registry (click Register Here above). Coverage is provided by CISI. Traveler Identification Cards will be emailed within 24-48 business hours of enrollment and travelers should carry the card with them while traveling. The CISI plan covers evacuation, repatriation, and security coverage at no cost to employees. 

Visa & Entry Requirements

Faculty and staff traveling internationally should consult the US Department of State's country information for visa and entry requirements, as well as consular alerts, safety and security considerations, and other important country-specific information. Be sure your passport is current. Many countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay. Check the University’s Travel Alerts, Notices & Warnings web page for updates on health, safety, and security conditions in your destination(s). 

Additionally, travelers should consult the CDC for information about re-entry testing requirements, and other recommendations for before, during, and after international travel.

Export Controls

Obtain prior approval from the Office of Export Controls here if you are traveling with controlled technology, University owned equipment or are traveling to a sanctioned country: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and Ukraine (Crimean region only). International travel with controlled technology is an export. Examples include University owned laptops, cell phones, and other devices, as well a technical information subject to publication or dissemination restrictions, which may include research results.

STEP Registration

US citizens should enroll in the Department of State's "Smart Traveler Enrollment Program" (STEP) at https://step.state.gov/step/. In doing so you will create an account, or login to your existing account, and "enroll a trip". Update your account as you plan excursions to other cities or countries.


If you have questions about your registration, any pre-populated fields are incorrect, or you experience technical difficulties, contact [email protected].